James Madison University – Harrisonburg, VA
Aug 2012 - Dec 2016
-Cumulative GPA: 3.74/4.00
-B.A. in Political Science (Major GPA: 3.81/4.00)
-Minor: Political Communication (Minor GPA: 3.84/4.00)
-Honors: Phi Beta Kappa, magna cum laude, Dean’s List every semester, semifinalist in the 2016 NASA Online Debates Speech Competition
-Activities: Odyssey Online (staff writer), Delta Upsilon (VP of Administration)
PBS NewsHour, Broadcast News Assistant – Arlington, Virginia
July - Dec 2016
• Wrote dozens of articles that were published on the PBS NewsHour website ranging from national and foreign affairs to science and politics. I interviewed sources, reviewed court documents, analyzed data and saw several articles receive over 16,000 shares on Facebook after being shared by "NewsHour.
• Assisted deputy senior producer on field shoots and in editorial process, recommended shots, b-roll and audio that made it to broadcast, compiled dossiers for correspondents and anchors, gathered elements and used digital audio recorder during shoots.
• Utilized newsroom tools like iNews and Avid MediaCentral to edit scripts, insert b-roll and interview video and audio cues, monitor newswires, log live events, transcribe video, organize digital files, and add metadata. Also used AutoIngest software to ingest footage from XDCAMs and P2 cards.
• Assisted anchors and guests during live 6-hour Election Night coverage by monitoring and providing exit poll data and updates, marking revised scripts and bringing them to the anchors by coordinating with the stage manager.
NBCUniversal, Paid Intern ("Morning Joe") – New York, New York
• Researched and provided stories for "Morning Joe" senior producer and "Way Too Early" correspondent.
• Shadowed producers, assisted in writing scripts, drafting dossiers and conducting research.
• Completed studio production tasks including: assisting talent, escorting and handling guests, reserving and tracking cars, and completing cue sheets/comparison sheets.
C-SPAN, Intern (Political Unit) – Washington, D.C.
• Completed briefing memos and research projects for a senior executive producer and political editor; also assisted at events and broadcasts.
• Researched upcoming congressional, senatorial and gubernatorial debates and coordinated with producers; also constructed weekly debate schedules for the Campaign 2014 team.
• Contacted and communicated with campaigns and news organizations to secure coverage of congressional, senatorial and gubernatorial debates.
• Attended White House press briefings.
U.S. Senator Cory Booker (D-NJ), Intern – Newark, NJ
• Helped coordinate and prep Superfund press conference where both Senator Booker and Senator Menendez spoke.
• Analyzed a special project to facilitate the Newark Preschool Council’s transition period, then briefed and advised the responsible field representative on the findings.
• Drafted correspondence, conducted research, and assisted in constituent casework.
Skills and Interests
- Computer Skills: Apple and PC platforms, shooting video, basic video editing, iNews, Avid MediaCentral, AutoIngest, Microsoft Office, HTML, Keynote, social media
- Avid Tennis Player – Ranked #3 in Southern NY State, Boys 18 and under (2011-2012)
- Skilled martial artist: Muay Thai and boxing
- Driver’s license